Benefits of Coffee before sleep
Coffee. If you’re an average human living in a modern society, then you’ve probably had at least a teaspoon of coffee this morning, if not more. You are aware that coffee has caffeine and is considered to be the world’s most consumed psychoactive substance.
It’s not uncommon for some people to want or need something a bit stronger than a cup of coffee to help them get up and going in the morning. But what about having a cup of coffee at night? Is it advisable? Let’s get into this topic in a little more detail.
How does caffeine affect the brain?
Once we drink beverages that have caffeine, the stomach and small intestine absorb the caffeine. Although, the effects of caffeine occur after 30 minutes or an hour. But yes, it is not the same for everyone. So after the caffeine is distributed in the whole body, it then crosses the barrier between blood and the brain.
Now, what does it do in the brain? Caffeine blocks the adenosine receptors. These are the receptors that are in charge of sleep-promoting chemicals. By this, we mean caffeine stops the build-up of adenosine, which, in turn, means no sleep. It is also a reason why we feel more alert and vigilant after getting the daily dosage of caffeine.
How long does caffeine wear last?
The electric charge that you get after that cup of joe can last for upto four to six hours. The caffeine ping would stay up to 4-6 hours in the normal case. But like every other thing, there are some factors that can hinder the caffeine wear, or in other words, lead the caffeine wear to last for less time.
One of the main factors that are also research-proven is nicotine. If you are a frequent smoker, there are chances that your body would crave coffee earlier than non-smokers. Reason? Nicotine use reduces the wear of caffeine by upto 50%. This means the charged-up feeling would only last for two hours.
Also Read, White Coffee Vs. Black Coffee: Which Is Better?
What is the effect of caffeine on the body?
If you consume coffee, there are many things that you can experience. Check out the further discussed points for more information.
- It keeps your body alert: Coffee is one of the best and most famous energy boosters. And that is also the reason why people love drinking a hot steaming cup of coffee in the morning, especially during the winter. It keeps your hands warm while giving your body the energy that it needs. It alerts your bodily senses and helps them function with more reception.
- No fatigue: Tiredness becomes a thing of the past once you drink coffee. A cuppa joe from House of Coffee, and your tiredness flies away.
- Your body works more efficiently: When you feel lazy, your body will not let you be your efficient self. This happens because of low energy levels. But once you pick up that cup of coffee, that aroma will be enough to get you through the laziness. With your mind recharged and your body feeling good, the ideas come running up, and it becomes easy to work well and efficiently.
- No sleep for a few hours: The main job that coffee serves us is fulfilling our energy levels while serving that liquid gold to our tongues. Once you drink coffee, the caffeine rushes into the body and keeps us energized for long periods of time. In some ways, this is good, but if you drink coffee later in the day or at night, it can be bad for your sleep schedule. Because of the wrong timings, you can suffer from sleep deprivation.
What to do to improve the sleep schedule?
Sleep is very important to the human body. Without proper eight-hour sleep, it is possible that you can get sick, or the following day can turn out to be very lazy and moody. But there are a few things you need to take care of to improve your sleep. Here they are,
- Sleep environment: Make sure that you sleep in a cool, comfortable, dark, and quiet place. These things are very important when you are trying to get a peaceful and relaxing night of sleep.
- Screen time: It is very critical that you ensure no screen time thirty minutes prior to sleeping. Yes, it is very hard to put down the phone, but if you want peaceful sleep, it is very vital.
- Schedule: A sleep schedule plays a key role in helping you get a good night’s sleep. This way, your body will start giving the sleepiness signs according to the schedule.
- No caffeine: Caffeine can make sleepiness go away. Yes, it works after around 30 minutes, but even that can cause hindrance in sleep. So make sure you don’t drink any caffeinated drinks two-three hours before your scheduled sleep time.
The final say
Coffee and caffeine have so many well-known benefits. But when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep, it is better to avoid the cravings of getting some coffee in your system. It is better to enjoy it in the morning and serve good productivity throughout the day.